La Crescenta Presbyterian Church had its humble beginnings in 1885 under the leadership of Dr. Benjamin Briggs. Originally intending to build a resort in the scarcely populated Crescenta Valley, Dr. Briggs bought a large portion of the land. However, his vision was never realized. After becoming a civic leader in the community, Dr. Briggs organized the First Presbyterian Church of La Crescenta. The church was officially recognized by the Los Angeles Presbytery on December 12, 1885. Beginning with a group of eight charter members, La Crescenta Presbyterian Church slowly grew under the leadership of Dr. Briggs.
Since its creation, La Crescenta Presbyterian Church has had an active life in the community and throughout the world. From land donations to the Schools of Los Angeles to missionary efforts in China, Korea, Mexico, and the Dominican Republic, the church has found its call to be a community in and for the world of central importance. La Crescenta Presbyterian Church also maintains ties to Fuller and Princeton seminaries, helping to train future leader leaders in the church. Today, the church has over 400 active members and continues to be an active presence in La Crescenta and the world.
For more information about La Crescenta Presbyterian Church’s history, please see La Crescenta Presbyterian Church: The First Hundred Years 1885-1995.